The British Association of Christians in Psychology (BACIP; previously known as the Network of Christians in Psychology, NeCIP) is a UK-based organisation for Christian professional and student psychologists in academic and applied settings. We have over 300 members representing qualified and trainee clinical, occupational, educational, counselling, and academic psychologists, in addition to secondary school psychology teachers and a strong contingent of undergraduate and graduate students. BACIP is led by a Steering Group, which determines the policy and activities of the organisation. The Steering Group is assisted by a part-time employed Administrator.
BACIP was founded in 1989, and from the outset we have been concerned with issues of integrating Christian faith and psychology at all levels, from the personal to that of society and its institutions. Our other aims include:
- Supporting and encouraging Christian psychologists in their places of work and students studying psychology as Christians psychology students, particularly when conflicts become apparent;
- Supporting Christian churches (and allied organisations) in the UK by the provision of psychological knowledge and expertise in the service of their ministry;
- Promoting empirical and theoretical research on the interface between psychology and religion;
- Encouraging each other to share our faith;
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with similar organisations in the UK and other countries.
To fulfil these aims we arrange an annual national conference to address issues identified by members and to meet for fellowship and worship; publish a semi-annual newsletter, The Christian Psychologist; maintain a Membership Directory; coordinate a range of regional groups that meet on an irregular basis; support students and clinical trainees through regular weekends away; and maintain a lively email list. Sounds good? Find out how to join.
What we believe
We are pleased that BACIP members represent a broad spectrum of Christianity, including Catholic and Protestant, high and low. We uphold the following points of faith:
- The sovereignty of God
- The authority of the Bible
- The deity and humanity of Jesus Christ
- The uniqueness of Jesus Christ in bringing us into a right relationship with God
- Our need for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit
BACIP members who wish to be on the Steering Group are invited to sign this statement of faith.